8.17.2009

Escaping Greensboro

[I made the following post a while ago on the facebook. I am now copying it here for continuity's sake, with some edits to avoid full names.]

Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 9:51pm

It seems more difficult than it should be for Amanda and me to "escape" from Greensboro and North Carolina in general. We keep getting pesky reminders that it still exists, that there's still a church there with a lot of people that we miss.

For example, we just received our first checkbook from the UVA Community Credit Union. The checks have lovely photos of Charlottesville landmarks... and they came to us straight from the manufacturing/distribution facility in Greensboro. Then there's furniture. Now that we're not planning to move in the next couple years, we're ready to move beyond the futon and the plastic nightstand. But the furniture store taunts us with "Carolina Prices." And we bought something, I don't remember what, that had a label from Boone, of all places. Boone! And just today, in church, they announced a quick overnight mission trip to lovely Charlotte for the purpose of packing shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child.

The freakiest thing is that our church has some missionaries visiting next Wednesday for a world-missions focus. Cooperative Baptist Fellowship missionaries. Missionaries to Hungary. Missionaries who we don't really know but who were celebrities from our church in Greensboro. I am hoping that they'll bring some people we do know "on tour" with them as roadies.

Isn't it enough that I have to pretend MSU is giving the sermon, instead of our dear TEL, in order to pay attention? Isn't it enough that I wish BTM would play "Jesus Loves Me" on the organ before and after the children's sermon? Or that I want the ushers to stop passing the offering plate across the whole row? Or that I really wish we could have the closing hymn without a spoken invitation every time?

Sheesh. I want to copy and paste my past into my present.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home